| Home | Our Family |  

March 28, 2006

Being Content

Yesterday I was reading a story to the boys about a little boy who wanted a new coat. His mom was poor and so she couldn't buy him one, but she mended his old one. That wasn't good enough for the little boy, and he went to bed sulking. While he was sleeping he had a dream that a policeman came and took him out of his warm home, into a cold stormy night and showed him two little boys who had no home to sleep in and no warm coat. The moral of the story was to be content with what you have. So a little while after reading this story to the boys, the girls and I were in the kitchen, baking and making supper. Well it didn't take long before we ran out of counter space. And the first thing that came out of my mouth was "We need more counterspace". Realizing that my little boys were listening to my discontentment, I talked with them about what my response should have been. It should have been 'thank you God that we have so much food to eat that we do run out of counter space, and that we have a house to live in.' It was a great lesson for all of us!
"For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, to be content." Phil. 4:11b

No comments: