| Home | Our Family |  

September 26, 2009

Nothing Else Will Matter

On Thursday evening we got the sad news that Mark's cousin had passed away in a farming accident. He was a husband, father to 4 children, brother and friend to many in this community and beyond and he will be missed.

We were combining when we heard the news so there was lots of time to think, mourn and reflect.

As sad as this is and as much as we don't always understand, we know that this is God's perfect plan. We do not see the big picture, but He does.

All of our days are numbered. We never know the day that will be our last.

So this has made me think about my life. My every day life, my life with family, friends, aquaintances and especially with God. If I were to die today, how would I be remembered? What impression would I have made on my children? What impact will I have made for God? What will He say to me when I meet Him face to face? Will it be "Well done"?

It's in these times that I am reminded once again that all the 'stuff' on earth is not going to make one bit of difference when I die. So many of the things that I see as so important and valuable now I will not be able to take with me. Makes me wonder why I strive so much sometimes to get these things?

What will make the difference though is the heart issues. Did I love and honor God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. Did I have a submissive heart and a good relationship with my husband? Did I teach our children to love and honor God when they sat and walked and lie down and got up? Did I reflect Jesus to those around me, was I a light to a lost and hurting world? Did I give of myself and my possessions? Because when all is said and done, when my life on earth is through it will be these things that will truly matter...these are the things that will last.

Please join me in praying for the families who are mourning their loss.

When visiting with family today this is the verse that they read to us from Habakkuk 3:17-18

Though the fig tree does not bud

and there are no grapes on the vines,

though the olive crop fails

and the fields produce no food,

though there are no sheep in the pen

and no cattle in the stalls,

yet I will rejoice in the LORD,

I will be joyful in God my Savior.

3 comments:

The Mayo Family said...

Dear Pauls,
Our hearts go out to all for the loss of this loved one, may God be very near to all and draw to Himself for a peace that only HE can grant!
We will keep all in prayer.
Yes, it is a reminder to all...where are we with our Lord?...thank you for your sharing.
Blessings,
The Mayo's

Esther said...

So very true. The heart issues,where is our heart focused? We can become so very caught up with the things of this world that an accident like this reminds us to stop and rethink our own lives. As we know accidents like that don't happen for no reason,God wants to teach us something through it.

Aunt Ruth said...

Thanks the reminder and especially for the song, "Praise you in the storm". It holds new meaning for me this week as I remember my brother, Ben.
RUTH