| Home | Our Family |  

January 14, 2011

Snowy Days

Since everyone seems to be talking about snow these days, I thought I would join in.
It's snowing here again today, big beautiful flakes.
Actually, we have had quite a bit of snow this winter.
It comes in little dumps here and there.....and it stays.
All winter long...it stays.
We won't see grass until around April or so.

Do I ever get tired of snow?
Truthfully, there are some days where I would like to sit out on the deck and hear the birds sing,
or be able to go outside without having to dress like a big marshmellow,
or having the kids be able to play outside for hours at a time without worrying about frost-bite,
or not having my nose hairs stick together when I step outside,
or being able to take off your gloves for more that 5 seconds and have your fingers feel like they are ready to fall off,
or being able to go for a walk without having to walk with big boots that make me feel clumsy,
or not losing "who knows what" that the kids leave around the yard, which we won't find until spring.

Do I enjoy snow and winter?

Truthfully, I DO!!!
I love the way the snowflakes fall so peacefully. Seriously, if you want to know what peaceful looks and sounds like, watch snowflakes fall on a calm day. Millions of snowflakes fall, and not a sound! It really is amazing! Reminds me of our Amazing Creator.

I love the time we get to spend playing hockey as a family every day on our rink. Couldn't do that without cold weather. Of course our little guys might think they could do with a rink without the snow that they have had to shovel and shovel and shovel off this year. Hey, it's a great way to get rid of some boyish energy :-)

I love the way snow is so pure and white. There is not much more beautiful than a fresh blanket of snow that sparkles in the sunlight.

I love the way the winter makes a fire feel so warm and cozy.

So ya, I guess it's a mix. I wouldn't want to have winter all the time, but a season of it is okay.
But once warmer weather comes, you can be sure I will be one of the first to be enjoying it.

No just to figure out how to skip all the mud 
that comes once the snow melts :-)


Here are the evergreens behind our house heavy with snow.


This is looking out our front window


Looking out the south window.

The deck I like to sit on in the summer and hear the birds sing.


The birds should really come and clean off their roof
before it caves in.....
Oh by the way, if we get too much heavy snow, we really have to do that.....clean the snow off the roof of our house. That's always a fun job. Most often we get a nice big wind that blows the snow off instead.



This is what the pond looked like in the summer.....



And this is what it looks like now.....
So glad we decided to take the fish inside for the winter :-)





So to all of our southern friends who are enjoying their recent snowfall......
hope you have a great time with it.
And when your snow is melted and gone and you are sitting on your deck listening to the birds,
please remember your Canadian friends who are still buried :-)

1 comment:

Marcy said...

I really don't know how you do it! I grew up in the north...maybe I am just getting old and I can't take it anymore. My mood is even better when the sun shines and it is warm! :>) Your pictures of the snow are pretty though! A friend of mine that moved down here from Minnesota said she has been colder here because of the humidity. Maybe that makes a difference!
Thanks for the encouraging comment on my last post. I had a negative one right after it! First time in my "blogging career" that I had a negative comment!