| Home | Our Family |  

August 20, 2008

Words From the Innocent

We work very hard at teaching our kids to be modest at a very young age.
They are taught to keep doors closed when changing and respect other people's privacy.
We also teach them to dress modestly in a manner that would bring glory to God.
This is why Brooke was so distraught one day while we were shopping.
Brooke and I were in Wal-Mart.
I was looking through a rack of clothes close to the fitting rooms.
Brooke: (gasping & pointing towards the fitting rooms) Mommy, he's not wearing a shirt.
So naturally I looked around to see what she was talking about.
Looking in the aisle of the fitting room I saw who she was talking about.
The 'he' was actually a 'she' trying on a bikini swim suit and 'not very discreetly' admiring herself in the mirror.
Me: That's not good, is it?
Brooke: No, he's not even in the bathroom.
Me: She should be in the bathroom.
Brooke: (turning away) I shouldn't be looking, I should be looking at the clothes.
Me: Yes, you look over here at the clothes!
As cute as this is, it is also very sad.
We live in an age where the standard of modesty is declining.
We went to the beach the other day and I felt like putting blind folds on our boys.
It is now the acception to wear a full bathing suit rather than the norm.
Bikinis are everywhere!
When we go shopping for clothes we find there are actually very few modest items that are even worth considering. And modest bathing suits are next to impossible to find.
Being in style is not worth compromising modesty.
When we get to heaven and stand before God, He is not going to ask us if we were in style with the latest trends. He is going to ask us about our inward beauty. How much time & effort did we spend on keeping that looking beautiful.
What are you teaching your children about modesty?
How are you dressing?
Ask your husband if your dress is modest. As women we do not see things the way men do. If your husband thinks it is 'immodest' chances are it will draw other men's attention as well.
Teach your daughters to ask their Dad if he approves of their clothing. If our girls have bought something new, even though I have given the okay, before they take the tags off, they need to model it for their Dad. And if he does not approve, we take it back. Even their hair style or their accesories can give a wrong message.
I once read in a book once that the way you should judge if you are dressing modestly is to look in the mirror and instead of asking yourself if you look good, ask yourself if what you are wearing would please your Heavenly Father. Would He give you his nod of approval?
Are you teaching your children that it's the beauty on the inside that is the most important?
You can start even when they are young.
I don't let our little girls wear mini skirts or bikinis.
Why let them do something today that you will discourage tomorrow?
Sometimes it feels like an uphill battle.
Like swimming against the stream.
But it is possible to live modestly in an immodest society.
I have to tell you one more story about Nathan in regards to this topic.
Megan was trying on a pair of shorts to wear to the beach as a swim suit bottom.
Nathan came in the house when she had them on.
He said passionately, "Megan, it's not your property to wear shorts like that!"
As a child he was sensitive to this, it bothered him.
It's naturally there, don't desensitize your children, keep your standard high.
Don't measure yourself against the world.
Measure yourself according to God and His Word.
In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel,
with shamefacedness and sobriety;
not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
1 Timothy 2:9 & 10

4 comments:

EllaJac said...

WHAT a great point... Not letting children have one set of standards while they're "young" and then trying to change it later. I saw that happen, and it didn't work. Not at all. Mom had no foundation for what she was trying to say, and daughter continued on in some racy appearances. My girls are young yet, but I try to be an example and teach them well. I finally "made" some swimsuits for them. They're completely darling, and I plan to post about them eventually.

The Pauls' Family said...

I'd love to see those swim suits!

Stacey said...

Great post! However, I'm the one who is more modest in our house :) My husband doesn't quite agree with me on that issue.

Laura said...

Nathan seems very wise/funny. My girls wear shorts often with their swimsuits. I went to a girls clothing store at the first of the summer looking for one piece swimsuits. After several minutes looking around and NOT finding anything but the bikini style, I ask a clerk for some help. I questioned her where there one piece suits were. She looked at me like I was CRAZY maybe from another planet with horns coming out of my head. She said we don't have any one piece suits. I ask her why not and she replied with a sharp tone "no one wears them any more" I walked out of that store very sad that this is what our world is coming to...IMMODEST. We did find a few one piece suits but even some of them where cut so VERY LOW in the chest it was still hard. THANKS for this post it was great!!!!