| Home | Our Family |  

August 29, 2007

More Than a Job!

As I was putting our folded clothes away today, I was getting rather frustrated at the unwanted creases, far from neat folding, inside out clothes and was wondering "How can I get across to my girls that this is not the 'proper' way to do laundry. I went through all the lectures in my head, all the ways to tell them how to 'do it right' and then the words came to me, "You need to get them to see this as a ministry" "That's it" I said to myself. And so I called for them and proceeded to tell them something like this: From now on, when you fold the clothes I want you to think of it not as a job, but as a ministry. When you fold something, think of how important that person is to you, so important that you will honor them in the way you treat their clothes. Because you see the people in your family as valuable you will not give them wrinkled, inside out clothes. But you will fold their clothes in respect to who they are as a person. Do you understand? From now on, I don't want you to see this as as job, but instead as a ministry. And as I said this, I spoke to myself as well. How many times do I look at my 'daily grind' as just another job, when it is in fact a way to minister to my family, friends and neighbors. I think if I would view my daily activities as this way, my perspective would change. For I was hungry, and you gave me meat: I was thirsty, and you gave me drink: I was a stranger, and you took me in: Naked, and you clothed me: I was sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came to me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when did we see you hungry, and feed you? or thirsty, and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger, and take you in? or naked, and clothe you? Or when did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, As much as you have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me. Matthew 25:35-40 Well I need to go and 'minister' to my family!

1 comment:

The Rowley Family said...

thanks for that. yep, needed to hear it. and thanks for ministering to us on monday. i really appreciated the chats throughout the day.