| Home | Our Family |  

July 3, 2008

It's Here!

Canning season has begun!
I love this time of year with God's gifts of fresh fruits and veggies.
I just wish it would last longer than just a couple of months.
Maybe someday I will live in a place where I can eat fresh fruit all the time:)

But for now to enjoy this stuff year round I will have to keep on canning.
So today canning started with 13 jars of rhubarb jam. We ran out last year so my goal is to do lots! So I will probably make way too much and then we will have to eat it like it's going out of style (sigh).
And then there was rhubarb left over so we had to make a rhubard dessert (so sad!)

Now I look forward to strawberries (which will soon be ready), raspberries, spinach & lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, gooseberries (which need to be picked today!), carrots, potatoes (very soon I can start stealing the little ones), peas, celery, onions, watermelon, honey dew, tomatillos (never planted them before but was up for the experiment), and just when you think it can't get any better-apples and CORN ON THE COB! Whew just thinking about all that work makes me exhausted!

So here's to the canning season and all you who are preserving your fruits and veggies for the long, cold winter :) Happy Canning!
And of course as soon as I tried to take a picture our ever so cute little model figured she had to be part of the photo!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Yes, your model is so cute! OK, you got me on this one "what are gooseberries"? I feel really dumb now, not sure we have those in Tennessee. I'll have to check into that. One more thing do you have any canning advice on your recipe blog, I'll go check but if not PLEASE put some on there...I'd love it! I better go this post made me hungry.

The Pauls' Family said...

Gooseberries are sour little green (at least our variety is green) berries that grow on a shrub type 3 - 4 ft high bush. I don't like them at all, but once again because they are sour my hubby loves them. He likes Gooseberry Prestige which is basically gooseberries, flour & sugar mixed together and wrapped up in a pie dough. I could never make them like his mom could, but this year Jennifer tried her hand at it and did very well. Now I think she has herself a job!

I don't have any canning tip on my recipe blog. I don't feel like an expert by any means, but hopefully someday I will get around to sharing what I have learned by trial and error.

Laura said...

Thanks so much, now I can tell my kiddos what gooseberries are. Wish we lived closer to help with the picking...and I could watch you can, I don't think I'd be much help. I'll let you know if I get very far in the area of canning this summer.