| Home | Our Family |  

June 13, 2017

There's a First Time for Everything

Every once in awhile I come across a situation as a mom where I think, "Well in all my years of parenting, I have never experienced this!!" You'd think after being a mom to 14 children over 27 yrs. I'd have seen pretty much everything. But once in awhile....
Today I had one of those moments. A 'something I have never experienced' moment. We were just nicely finished lunch and I noticed some black globs on our floor. Our new, light gray floor. Upon further investigation I discovered it was black ink. A pen had exploded! But not only had a pen exploded, the little boys had driven through it with their big combine and truck. So there were "tracks" of ink all across the floor. After removing the truck, combine and boys we proceeded to figure out how in the world we were going to clean all of this up! My first thought was to try a magic eraser. It was great for the little marks, but just spread the bigger spots. Then I thought of trying acetone only to realize that it was going to wreck the finish. So we googled our predicament and found quite a few suggestions. Rubbing alcohol, hair spray, men's body spray, household cleaner, goo gone, nail polish remover. And I am here to report that we tried them all but nothing was strong enough to completely remove it. Then something caught my eye, and since we are farmers, we even  had it in the shop. Good 'ol WD 40. We sprayed that on and with an SOS pad scrubbed and scrubbed and finally we were making progress! And with an hour or so of elbow grease mixed with all the other grease we had done all we could. The floor isn't perfect, but if you didn't know where we scrubbed I don't think you would notice.
So as the saying goes, "You learn something new every day". Today I learned that after 27 yrs. of being a mom, my kiddos are still capable of giving me new experiences and WD40 really does have a use in the house (Mark's Dad has been saying this for years!!)
And that is my wisdom nugget for today!!



The floor

Culprit #1


Culprit #2


The boy behind the culprit


The other boy behind the culprit

The floor saver! 

No comments: